The main role of the Board (often referred to as the GKTOLMB) is to coordinate the development of a joint management plan by working closely with the Gunaikurnai people, joint management partners and consulting with all groups and individuals who express an interest.
The Board was first appointed by the Victorian Minister for Environment and Climate Change in 2012, giving effect to the 2010 Gunaikurnai Traditional Owner Land Management Agreement (TOLMA).
Our vision is to see empowered and respected Gunaikurnai actively managing and caring for their land and water for the enjoyment of all people.
Our mission is to:
- actively protect Gunaikurnai culture, land and waters and bring strength, knowledge, skills and innovation to that role;
- support Gunaikurnai to maintain and build their strong connections to joint managed lands;
- generate greater employment and economic development opportunities for Gunaikurnai;
- use Gunaikurnai traditional knowledge to set and guide strategic and operational direction for joint managed lands; and
- build respectful relationships and enduring partnerships to protect and enhance Gunaikurnai joint managed lands