Role, Values & Function
The Role of the Board
The functions of the board are those conferred on the Board under the TOLMA (Schedule 2, Clause 5.1), which are:
- To comment or make submissions on matters affecting or concerning the use of management of the appointed land; and
- To prepare policies about the board and its operations and engagement with external parties.
Through developing the JMP, the board will fulfil its role (TOLMA Schedule 2, Clause 3) which is:
- to set and guide the strategic direction for the joint management of the appointed land of the board;
- to collaborate with the State and the relevant State land managers in the management of the appointed land and enable the knowledge and culture of the Gunaikurnai People to be recognised in the management of the appointed land; and
- to foster employment and economic development opportunities for Gunaikurnai People in relation to the management of the appointed land.
The values and principles the GKTOLMB operate by are:
- We encourage and value leadership by example, creativity and new ideas.
- We serve the good of all Gunaikurnai.
- We are persistent in supporting the journey for Gunaikurnai towards self-determination and social justice.
- We listen to understand all views before judgement and decision making.
- We demonstrate courage and integrity in all we do.
- We encourage and value teamwork.
- We are empowered to respectfully challenge and speak with candour and are committed to resolving conflict.
- We value strong and enduring partnerships.
- Engaging and consultative processes are integral to the way we work.
The functions of the Board are:
- To comment or make submissions on matters affecting or concerning the use or management of the Appointed Land;
- To prepare policies about the Board and its operation and engagement with external parties;
- Those management functions that are conferred on the Board by agreement under any Act under which the Appointed Land is managed;
- Those management functions that are delegated to the Board by a person or body who has those management functions in relation to the Appointed Land; and
- To carry out such other functions as are conferred on the Board by the Act or the Minister by notice published in the Government Gazette (Determination 2 August 2012).